Remembering Mike Manzur

It is with sadness that I learned of Mike Manzur’s death, last August 16, following a car accident. Poetic justice in a way, as he shares that date with Elvis Presley, the 'King, who also died on August 16, but in 1977.

I will always have very fond memories of Mike. Over the past five years, I had the pleasure to play with Mike on many occasions, in Puerto Morelos (at Habanero’s, Portobello’s, and Tuna’s), in Playa del Carmen and in Cancun, with other musicians from Québec, the USA, Mexico, and Europe.

He was a great guitar player, and a genial musician. Mike Manzur always was very generous on stage during performances, always letting other musicians share the spotlight with him.

I regret his untimely death, (is death ever timely?), and I will always treasure my memories of him, on and off the stage. Mike Manzur was indeed a friend, to everyone. Never judgmental, never criticizing, always supportive.

May he rest in peace.
Long live the Blues!
Bluesman,
aka Jean Prévost
Montréal, Québec, Canada and Puerto Morelos
August 23, 2007

No comments: